In response to the U.S. Department of Education (ED) request for stakeholder feedback on the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), the NAAC board is submitting a letter providing feedback on Title II (Preparing, Training, and Recruiting High-Quality Teachers, Principals, or Other School Leaders). NAAC encourages members to use the letter as a template for submitting additional responses. NAAC’s letter provides the following six recommendations for the Department’s non-regulatory guidance to states, districts, and other grantees:
- Provide explicit guidance that strongly encourages states to use funds for innovative preparation academies for teachers and school leaders;
- Permit funding for options that include schools, districts, nonprofit and for-profit organizations, state and regional agencies, and IHEs as well as collaborations between and among such entities;
- Encourage states to develop reciprocity rules that open portability for alternatively-prepared candidates;
- Allow entities such as those named above to construct and collaborate on residency-based models of preparation;
- Clarify the particular terms of “national nonprofit” and “demonstrated record”; and
- Clarify the primary entity eligible for funding.
The letter may be found here. Programs are encouraged to modify and customize the letter with information particular to their own state and/or program needs.
Provide your input by sending an email message to ESSA.firstname.lastname@example.org, noting the topic area(s) in the subject line. Include within the body of your email message your name and, if applicable, your organization. Submit your comments by May 25, 2016.
For more on ESSA, including Guidance and Regulatory information, click here.